[Tagging] landuse for government offices ?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 00:40:51 UTC 2018

It’s not necessary to have a separate landuse area if the government office
is in a single building or shop. In that case  the overarching “landuse” is
still retail or commercial.

The new landuse=civic_admin is useful when there are multiple buildings and
government offices in a larger area, such as a city block or multiple
blocks. This situation is quite common in American, Latin American and
Asian towns.

Landuse=commercial plus a subtag if commercial=civic or =government is also
possible, but civic doesn’t seem to be a subcategory of “commercial” in the
sense of economic function, even if the buildings are similar


On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 7:22 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>

> How about when your Govt office is a single "shop" in a retail area? eg
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4221669587, which is a at the end of a
> shopping mall https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/235773662
> Should we leave it as a shop, or re-tag that end of the retail building as
> civic_admin?
> Thanks
> Graeme
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20180920/98a66af0/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list