[Tagging] landuse for government offices ?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 00:40:51 UTC 2018

It’s not necessary to have a separate landuse area if the government office
is in a single building or shop. In that case  the overarching “landuse” is
still retail or commercial.

The new landuse=civic_admin is useful when there are multiple buildings and
government offices in a larger area, such as a city block or multiple
blocks. This situation is quite common in American, Latin American and
Asian towns.

Landuse=commercial plus a subtag if commercial=civic or =government is also
possible, but civic doesn’t seem to be a subcategory of “commercial” in the
sense of economic function, even if the buildings are similar

Joseph