[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Free drinking water by private entities

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 01:30:23 UTC 2018

I see that the suggestions about "free refills" are included here because
there was some confusion about the use of "free_refill=yes" in central
Europe. The English word "refill" implies that it is the second time
something has been filled. Thus a customer may request that their glass be
filled again with the same beverage.

I'd suggest a separate proposal page to discuss the free_refill=yes tag.

In North America, free beverage refills are limited to "soft drinks" (aka
fizzy drinks / pop / soda / cola depending on dialect), tea and brewed
coffee. Alcoholic beverages, espresso and specialty coffee drinks, and
other specialty beverage are usually excluded. I don't recall every seeing
free refills of lemonade or fruit juice.

So it would be sufficient to have free_refill=coffee/tea/soft_drink/yes/no
free_refill=yes would imply that all customers can get free refills on
coffee, tea and soft drinks, if all are offered. Or at a cafe that only
serves coffee and tea, free_refill=yes would mean free refills on coffee
and tea (since soft drinks are not available)

Some places only offer refills for free on one category. For example, a
cafe or "diner" may only offer free refills of brewed coffee, while a fast
food restaurant often offers free refills of "soft drinks" but not coffee.
In this case the specific free_refill=coffee or free_refill=soft_drink
would be used.

I don't think it is necessary to use a more complicated namespaced tag,
such as free_refill:coffee=yes, though that could be an alternative.