[Tagging] landuse for government offices ?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Sep 20 10:22:14 UTC 2018

> On Sep 20, 2018, at 5:39 PM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> Maybe it's just me, but I really can't understand why landuse for government functions needs its own tagging. The buildings are often indistinguishable from commercial properties

Why does what the buildings look like matter?

Hospitals look like office buildings. So do schools. We differentiate their tagging based on *what we call it and what is expected (regionally) inside*. We wouldn't tag a regional hospital or a university as an office park because the "buildings look the same".

Many parks are indistinguishable from natural=grassland or landuse=farmland, but we make the distinction.

In many places, a city hall is a very different place than an ordinary office building - even if we don't care that much about them.

Javbw.