[Tagging] Emergency=levee_breach_materials

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Sep 20 23:59:38 UTC 2018

I ran into an interesting thing when mapping my local rivers.

All of the rivers in my area have levees running 100% of their length from the mountains to the coast, there are probably over 1000 linear KM of earthen levees in the Tokyo region alone - 20mx10m levees (or bigger) along the outer banks of all rivers.

the small and the large rivers in my area have emergency levee repair stations - hundreds of 1000kg concrete breakwater blocks (like you would see in the ocean), a helicopter pad, and access to dirt/gravel.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/550873664 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/550873664>

They are situated on high ground, above flooding.

After I found one, I found other collections of emergency breakwater supplies along my river, and there are others along the larger rivers.

I have never seen one of these purpose-built stations before.

I am unsure of the landuse of such a station, nor is there a good tag for it.

I thought up Emergency=levee_breach_materials

Thoughts?

javbw