[Tagging] landuse for government offices ?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Fri Sep 21 01:59:16 UTC 2018

> On Sep 21, 2018, at 7:28 AM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:
>
> Why should farm be tagged as landuse=religious instead of landuse=farmland just because it is run by monks?

I agree. land used for farming (ie: a big field full of rice, wheat, corn, etc) should be tagged as farmland.

A temple ground, with the various shrines, temples, POWs, etc, is landuse=religious.

Obviously, inside a very large temple ground there are trees, gardens, shrubs, and maybe a little 5x5m patch of farmland for vegetables - tag those accordingly. they are all encompassed in the larger temple landuse. but the landuse ends at the logical boundary of the temple grounds - it’s fence, parking lot, driveway, etc. The landuse polygon is not representing what it is legally owned by the temple - but that the amenities inside “belong” to the building or the point. Sometimes that is difficult to discern - but it is usually mappable if you know the place you are mapping.

Large fields surrounding the temple may be owned or operated by the temple - but are landuse=farmland +  operator= [religious org].

Similar with religious schools. My buddhist school is operated by a “business” representing the temple.

the school is a school, operator=[temple business].

The temple nearby is landuse=religious, with it’s graveyard amenity and various statues, POW buildings, and a small building=house that the head monk lives in.

Javbw