[Tagging] Area of Firestations / Area of Ambulancestations

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Fri Sep 21 09:47:26 UTC 2018

> On Sep 21, 2018, at 6:17 PM, Anton Klim <tohaklim at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’m not sure I understand why it would be a landuse instead of an amenity tag on the area, or the other way round? Are landuses supposed to be for larger areas?

landuse areas can be as small as the land for housing plot, a factory building, or a convenience store.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/36.30597/139.32742 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/36.30597/139.32742>

look at the landuse polygons there.

Just like parks or farmland, they can be very big - or very small.

landuse does *not* show zoning or what is “allowed” it is used to denote the general purpose of the area when mapped in large polygons **or** to denote the extenant of a single map pin (ie, the retail land a mall sits on, the land used by a single factory in a industrial zone. if you are in a mixed area - you might have a ton of different landuses. )

the landuse is often several times bigger than the building, allowing the amenities of the site to be grouped together logically

older tags (like school) use one tag to define the landuse as well, just train station or fire station. But this is a tagging discrepancy (to me). landuse is used for the other tags discussed.

I would prefer that this discrepancy is evenutally resolved (landuse=school) - but tags like school are way too entrenched to ever be changed.

new tags created should follow the landuse=* model, but the older way of using area=yes+building=yes/no is still common, and some people might like it better - or wonder what landuse=* is for.

Javbw