[Tagging] [OSM-talk-be] cadastral plan now open data

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 00:08:26 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-22 01:08, Lionel Giard wrote:
> André, i don't really see your point with the argument you made about
> cadastre data. i don't know of anybody looking to use this data to add
> building into OSM. It is outdated data regarding buildings and roads
> in a lot of different place in Belgium. And as, the people at cadastre
> are not the source for these data, they don't need to update it
> anymore !  Most people are only using the default imagery (they often
> don't know about anything else).
>
> When tracing buildings, we should always base our self on the PICC for
> Wallonia or Urbis for Brussels or GRB for Flanders and the relevant
> best imagery in each case (comparing them keeping in mind that
> vectorial data are not up to date everywhere at the same time).
Lionel,

I'm not sure what you read because what you say is exactly what I wrote:
> But there is a *BIG WARNING*.*
> *PLEASE *DO NOT* use the [Cadastre] WMS to trace, and I suppose that
> the import data exhibits the same problem.
> ..
> For what I have seen of it in Wallonia, the Cadastre WMS map usually
> exhibits an error shift (wrong coordinates) as large as 10m and the
> houses and other elements have a wrong shape and location within the
> parcel.
> See example below.
> Instead, use JOSM with PICC in Wallonia and AGIV in Flanders.
>
> The Cadastral map can be useful to:
>
>   * find a house number not displayed on other maps
>   * find a house not displayed on other maps, but do not rely on the
>     house location (latlon)
>   * trace boundaries, especially former municipalities', but be aware
>     that Cadastre's boundaries are slightly different from other
>     sources, in particular because they avoid crossing a parcel. They
>     are official.
>   * use names not displayed on other maps and in particular a very
>     nice set of locality names
>   * maybe use other features not needing a precise location
>
> So, the usage of the cadastre is limited to displaying a JOSM layer,
> just for comparison with the PICC, aerial or other maps.
> Even more than tracing, beware of importing cadastral data !
> PLEASE DO NOT destroy with cadastre imports patient corrections with
> JOSM and PICC of ID and Potlatch inaccuracies and mistakes !!!
What's the problem?
I'm glad that we totally agree.

About what you write below, if you have contacts with PICC (SPW don't
always reply)...
You don't define ICAR (not free) but I seem to recall that there is a
free list of street names.
Could you ask them to specify the coordinates of both ends in this list?
I think that the list is freely usable and those coordinates would allow
OSM to at last start mapping roads correctly.

Also, PICC welcome corrective remarks but they don't say how to do that
and they ... don't reply.
I have quite a number of corrections I didn't send because of that.
I suggested reviving OpenStreetBugs or equivalent for OSM to notify bugs
to PICC ... or equivalent ... no answer.
Support in JOSM would be nice.

All the best,

André.