[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Toll Gantry

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 21:10:45 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 22. Sep 2018, at 22:50, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A toll_bridge [1] is a bridge for which you have to pay to pass, highway=toll_bridge should be a highway that is a toll-bridge, not a mechanical structure that is installed above a road to check the passing traffic.

I see, thank you for this remark. For highways that are toll bridges we already have a tag: toll=yes on the highway. It will have the highway class the road has, so we won’t be able to use highway=toll_bridge for toll bridges (but I agree that “toll bridge” apparently in English has not  the same meaning as is the German term Mautbrücke (meaning both, toll bridge and gantry)).

The 64 instances of highway=toll_bridge are all tagged on nodes: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/highway=toll_bridge

what about
highway=gantry or toll_gantry or man_made=gantry?
The latter has most usage, 2127:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/man_made=gantry

Cheers,
Martin