[Tagging] Topographic Prominence for Peaks

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 01:04:01 UTC 2018

For most peaks, it's only necessary to know the elevation of the
nearby saddles and peaks to find the prominence. For example, walk to
the top of the hill and record the elevation. Look around and find any
taller nearby peaks. If there is only 1 taller hill, walk down the
ridge line to the lowest point between the first hill and the taller
hill, then record the saddle elevation. Prominence is then elevation
of the first peak minus the elevation of the saddle.

It's more difficult for very prominent peaks, where the "key col" or
lowest saddle may be 1000's of kilometers away, but all of these peaks
already have prominence calculated and listed on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_peaks_by_prominence,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_by_highest_point,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ultras_of_Africa

I just remembered that there was an abandoned proposal for this tag.
How do I revive the proposal? Just start editing the page,
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/key:prominence
Or make a new page?

Joseph