[Tagging] Draft Proposal: Default Langauge Format

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Sep 26 22:18:20 UTC 2018

On Wednesday 26 September 2018, Wolfgang Zenker wrote:
> > * allow mappers to accurately document information on names of
> > features in all situations that might exist world wide where there
> > are verifiable names with as little effort and in the least error
> > prone way as possible.
> > * allow data users to interpret this data without constraints due
> > to intransparent preprocessing performed by the mappers.
>
> I'm not sure that all the participants in this discussion and all the
> supporters of the draft proposal (and previous proposals) do really
> agree on the ultimate aim of that proposal.

Yes, of course i should have mentioned that this is just my personal
opinion.  I did not mean to imply to speak for anyone else.

> Hence my suggestion to
> explore the problem space first and find out what problem(s)
> different people try to solve with that proposal, then identify the
> constraints that reduce the possible solutions space and the "nice to
> have" properties that we'ld like to see in the solution.

Yes, you can try to systematically develop a solution after defining
requirements and quantifying priorities.  But you need to keep in mind
that in OSM you have no centralized decision making process as you
usually have in engineering disciplines.  So you would already have
trouble finding agreement on what exactly the problem is.  And
experience tells that the solution space is typically much smaller than
the problem space when it comes to tagging in OSM.  Long story short:
Finding consensus on the solution is often much easier than on the
problem.

Still you are right, systematically collecting all the problems related
to name data recording in OSM would be quite useful - even if just from
a single person's perspective.  But that is already quite a huge amount
of work.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/