[Tagging] Tagging a named river bend

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 10:23:53 UTC 2018

+1
If it's a well defined area, I would tag an area tagged place=* , name=*
If it's an island, I would tag place=island. If no regular place-value
fits, then place=locality.
If it's a normal thing, like when all bends in the river have a name, then
I would probably enter a new place-value, e.g. river_bend.

Op do 27 sep. 2018 om 12:12 schreef Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>:

> I'd use
> place=locality
> name=*
>
> Fits, renders and searchable. Put it on a node.
>
> On 27/09/18 19:58, Dave Swarthout wrote:
>
> I'm working on adding islands and other features in the Tanana River in
> Alaska. There are many named sloughs (side channels), islands and in some
> areas curves or bends that have a name. In my example there is a large bend
> in the river that has its own name, Harper Bend. I'm looking for a way to
> tag that section so that the name is findable. It would be nice but not
> imperative if that name would display on the OSM slippy map and
> incidentally, on my GPSr.
>
> If I break the river at both ends of the curve, I could add the name to
> the section between the breaks but that doesn't seem right because the
> river's name isn't changing. Another much more complicated solution would
> be to break the riverbank into sections and add a name to the one that
> encompasses the bend.
>
> I don't know why I didn't ask here first but I raised this question on the
> OSM Help forum and one answer was to use a node. But if one goes that way,
> I reckon a new tag would be needed. So let's begin our discussion with
> that. Given that it's important to me to describe our mapped objects as
> completely as possible, I want a method to tag such a bend.
>
> Suggestions? Opinions?
> Best,
> Dave
> --