[Tagging] Draft Proposal: Default Langauge Format

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 11:35:38 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 1:21 PM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3) If I'm travelling across Europe by car, and am currently in France and want to get to Munich, at the French side of
> the border I want to know to look for Allemande, not Germany or Deutschland on the signage.

I typically rely on the destination signs, which might be in
French/German or both. So I prefer that the satnav uses the text of
the destinations signs, regardless of the name for the town.
So depending on whether you use a satnav or not, the "language" might
be different.

> 4) As I get near the border, I want to check my route to Munich (because that's what it is called in English, and that's the
> only name that I know for it) but will also need to look for signs to M√ľnchen.

All I agree that for "map lookups" one prefers to see the name in your
own language

> 5) All of the above have additional complications when dealing with multi-lingual communities.

As a Flemish person, I rather have the name of the street pronounced
in Dutch in Brussels than in the 2 languages as is now the case. This
is probably one of the complications.

m.