[Tagging] Tagging a named river bend

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 13:57:18 UTC 2018

I would resist the use of the locality tag (also the other pro-node
arguments) even though it's an easy answer to my problem. It does not
communicate the quality of "riverness" at all. This bend may or may not
lend its name to a locality but it is primarily a feature of the river, not
the name of a settled place.

I like the suggestion of place=river_part because it works well with
existing waterway tags and would be searchable. I don't want to use the
waterway tag at all for this project; that "top-level" should be reserved
for the ways comprising a river, and is normally associated with the river
name. This is a separate but related part of a river. The scheme could even
be extended to include Colin's "reaches" or "holes" on the river Thames.

Hmmm....

--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska