[Tagging] Topographic Prominence for Peaks

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 06:22:41 UTC 2018

You can’t use those Australian maps for Openstreetmap, unless the
government has subsequently released them as public domain.

But In the USA and Canada all official topo maps are public domain (I
linked the licenses from the proposal page). USGS also has maps of the
Arctic and Antarctic.

In Indonesia I am using Opentopomap, which is based on public domain SRTM
data, and there are a few other options in JOSM that might be available in
your area.

Australian mountains are all basically hills, right? :-) Joking. Good
excuse to climb some that are missing elevation tags in OSM, if there are
no good sources for elevation there.