[Tagging] mast / tower / communication_tower (again)

Michael Booth boothym at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 22:28:34 UTC 2018

Hi,

I opened an issue on the rendering of man_made=communications_tower on
the standard layer over on OSM-carto:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3414 and
think there should be a discussion about the tagging as well.

The Wiki definition is: *"**a huge tower for transmitting radio
applications.... It is often made from concrete and usually a far
visible landmark."*
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man%20made=communications%20tower

Looking at examples of this tag in OSM I would guess that out of the
<4,000 objects worldwide most of them do not conform to that definition.
Many of them are small mobile phone/cell site "masts", towers less than
100m, or very tall guyed masts.

I'd like to retag the structures near me to something more suitable -
however the wiki pages aren't very clear in distinguishing between the
various constructions and sizes for masts and towers.

Hopefully people can agree that the following should be tagged as
man_made=mast or tower + tower:type=communication + tower:construction +
height? Using TV transmitters in the UK as examples:

  * mast - guyed lattice, 306m:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durris_transmitting_station
  * mast - guyed tube, 351m:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belmont_transmitting_station
  * tower - lattice, 219m:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_transmitting_station
  * tower - freestanding, 330m:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emley_Moor_transmitting_station

But how should these examples be tagged in OSM? All of them are
self-supporting structures, so in engineering terms they are not masts.

 1. https://binged.it/2xILZO9
 2. https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2361955
 3. https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2337468
 4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charwelton_BT_Tower
 5. https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2053885
 6. https://binged.it/2xTxcQK
 7. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_hertzienne_de_Villeneuve-d%27Ascq
 8. https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2162874

Fortunately all three of the tags are now all displayed on the standard
layer so there shouldn't be any tagging for the renderer. But it would
be good to fix the definitions and make the wiki much clearer,
especially with more example photos. Then also ensuring the tags are
well supported in each editor's presets.

Cheers