[Tagging] Traffic sign direction tagging..

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Sep 29 22:52:39 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 11:58 AM Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> On 28 September 2018 17:31:18 BST, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 28, 2018, 5:34 AM Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I still highway=give_way and highway=stop with
> >> direction=forward/backward (which is used by OsmAnd AFAIK).
> >

> >Me, too - I went around my neighbourhood last year adding them. OSMand
> >does
> >indeed recognize them.
> >
> >Describing what a driver might see when approaching a turn would be an
> >effective use of traffic_sign, but 'node near the way' is pretty
> >useless
> >for routing. For maximal detail you'd need both, but if you're only
> >going
> >to add one, the highway=stop is far more useful.
> +1
> although also mapping the signs is useful for debugging.
>
> OSMand also warns of traffic calming, toll barriers, level crossing,
> pedestrian crossings and enforcement cameras.

Also stopped warning of rumble strips, which is annoying since they're
almost impossible to spot in advance in Oklahoma, as most of them are
unpainted and, depending on the vehicle really try to wrest control of the
steering away from motorists or introduce harmonic oscillation (aka speed
wobbles) in two wheeled vehicles in the worst case, and really give you a
good jumpscare at best.

I honestly miss getting "Attention: Rumble strip" out of Osmand.