[Tagging] Tagging a named river bend

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 02:27:04 UTC 2018

 Unfortunately, this topic has gotten split into two threads making it
difficult to follow. In trying to summarize, let's not be overly concerned
with rendering issues or whether this scheme can be fully modeled on OSM.
We can deal with rapids, hazards, etc., using existing tagging or develop
new tagging schemes later. That goes for discussions about using relations
to model "overlaps". I'm trying to tag a river feature, a named bend in the
waterway. Can we decide about the scenario we're currently working with?

This example uses the colon ":" as a separator for different parts of the
keys rather than mixing it with the underscore character "_".

> waterway=river
> name=Tanana River
> waterway:section=bend
> waterway:section:name=Harper Bend

Pros and cons (subject to the limitations I mentioned)?

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand