[Tagging] Default Language Format; language:default or default:language?

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 04:10:27 UTC 2018

I still think that if this feature is there to document the language of the
name tag, we should reuse the default_language [1] -- it is already set on
more than 200 large regions, covering most of the world. What's the point
of duplicating it?  If there is a region where name could be in 2 or more
languages, we may want to introduce a new tag to specifically address that
in those regions only, e.g. multiple_default_languages_of_the_region tag
that lists all possible values that the name MAY be in. (the tag name might
need some work :)).

That said, I fail to understand how it will help data processing. If a
region could be in FR and DE, you still don't know the language of the
specific feature's name.  How will the proposal help?  I might have misread
it though.

[1]  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:default_language