[Tagging] historic=archaeological_site with site_type=rock_art, rock_painting definitions

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 05:45:07 UTC 2019

Hi,

I came across this https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key%3Asite_type

It posses a problem with rock_painting, rock_carving (petroglyph) and
rock_art.

rock_carving (petroglyph) is already well defined
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Asite_type%3Dpetroglyph

Neither of the other 2 are not defined - other than my small recent
attempt on

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:site_type#Other_undocumented_.28suggested.29_values

rock_painting is paint on a rock surface. I think that is fairly simple?

The problem comes with rock_art as that would normally encompasses both
the above.

Within OSM 'we' could adopt that rock_art is where both carving and
painting are used together? That would distinguish it from either of the
above.

There are some 22 uses of site_type=rock_art, I think most of them would
go to either site_type=rock_painting or site_type=petroglyph only
leaving a very few of this type.