[Tagging] Comments on documenting winter speed limits tagging

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Apr 3 16:40:46 UTC 2019

On 28.02.19 11:16, Jyri-Petteri Paloposki wrote:
> – maxspeed:seasonal:winter for winter maxspeed, and :forward/:backward
> appended as necessary

Despite the feedback that maxspeed:conditional would be better suited
for this use case, this key has now been documented on the wiki:
https://wiki.osm.org/Key:maxspeed:seasonal:winter

I find that rather disappointing because the key is a poor fit with
several existing conventions. Even if we keep "winter" in the key, the
":seasonal" should definitely be dropped. After all, we use
maxspeed:forward (not maxspeed:directional:forward) and maxspeed:hgv
(not maxspeed:vehicular:hgv).

Conditional restrictions still strike me as the best solution, though,
and there are a few hundred examples in the database already.