[Tagging] What does recycling:waste=yes/no mean?

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 07:20:17 UTC 2019

That's another take on the question, although I don't think that
mappers have given so much deep thought into this. It might be helpful
to check the geographical distribution of this value to be sure,
though.

>From a user perspective, I only need to decide where to throw out a
given item of trash, choosing from documented categories like glass,
plastic and "everything else". I am not expected to know where it ends
up. There is no separate compartment for plastics that go into either
toys, furniture or fuel via gasification.

I also imagine that all waste in a given city or county should be
routed to the same waste processing plant, hence one would think all
waste baskets should be retagged there to recycling, which seems to
defeat the purpose. Tourists may also not expect such local customs to
be different, looking for waste_baskets, only to find none.

In Hungarian, the two words "recycling" and "burning" have no
connection whatsoever between them, and people would definitely not
connect the two concepts around here in any case. Here is the
beginning of the Wikipedia definition of recycling:

"Recycling is the process of converting waste materials into new
materials and objects. It is an alternative to "conventional" waste
disposal that can save material and help lower greenhouse gas
emissions. Recycling can prevent the waste of potentially useful
materials and reduce the consumption of fresh raw materials, thereby
reducing: energy usage, air pollution (from incineration), and water
pollution (from landfilling)."

While you might argue that you could create biogas from some (to be
burned anyway), I feel that to be a stretch.

Anyway, if this was really a thing (a notable thing), I'd definitely
introduce a new tag for that as well (recycling:gasifiable_waste
sounds awkward).