[Tagging] What's the default `access` value? | Re: amenity=place_of_worship | Re: Mapping of indigenous sacred / ceremonial sites

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Thu Apr 4 08:52:11 UTC 2019

On 04/04/2019 00:14, marc marc wrote:
> Le 04.04.19 à 00:00, Martin Koppenhoefer a écrit :
>> There are such restrictions in some places and we should map them,
>> if we know it well, or not add or modify them if we’re unsure or unacquainted.
>
> but we don't map the legislation, isn't it ?
> or next step is adding access=private on all houses and
> access=permissive on all shop ?
> a default value per religion/country look like a better idea

What is the default value of the `access` tag?

The default value of the `oneway` tag on `highway` is `oneway=no`. But I
don't think `access` has a default value *for all OSM objects*. For
`highway=primary`, the default is `access=yes`. For `shop=supermarket`,
the default is `access=permissive`. We don't add `access=yes` to roads,
so we shouldn't add `access=permissive` to supermarkets.

So what's the default `access` for `amenity=place_of_worship`?

I don't think there can be a default *for all types of PoW*.

  * `access=permissive` is the default for Catholic church facilities in
Ireland, but `access=private` for Catholic friaries & monasteries.

  * `access=adherent(s)` for some Muslim facilities in Morocco (right?)

  * `access=permissive` for Mormon genealogy facilities, but
`access=adherent(s)` to the Mormon temple facility (right?)

I think data consumers need to use their heads. If you're making a
cycling routing engine, use a default `bicycle=no` for
`highway=motorway`. If you're making a site to show tourist-y places in
a city, don't include `amenity=place_of_worship` with
`access=adherent(s)/no/private`, and if there's no `access` tag, then
look at the other tags/location and make an educated guess. If you're
making a "Find my local Catholic Church" app, then include
`access=adherents` or a missing `access` tag on a catholic church.

Rory