[Tagging] Tagging shared campuses: landuse=school?

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Thu Apr 4 09:47:48 UTC 2019

On 04-04-19 11:25, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

> Apr 4, 2019, 9:55 AM by mail at jeroenhoek.nl:
>
>     Then, landuse=school (~5000 in use)
>
> Note that about 80% of landuse=school was added by automatic edits:
> https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/5439713/47250831-3d2e6b00-d429-11e8-9aef-1ba334ebecaa.png
> spikes indicate that it was added by mechanical edit or import
>
> 74% of landuse=school objects have amenity=school anyway -
> (checked with http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/HFl and
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/landuse=school#overview )
>
> --
> speculation below
> --
>
> It looks to me that it is likely that someone though that all areas
> needs to be covered by one
> of landuse=* values and added duplicated tags to amenity=school areas.

Agreed. This means the number of uses I've quoted are mostly incorrect
(or more specifically: redundant) uses of this tag.

I still think the proposal (my version and the original one) is valid,
but for the sake of discussion the numbers I quoted should not be
exclusively taken as landuse=school and landuse=education in use for the
proposed problem; i.e., multiple educational amenities sharing a campus.

Combining landuse=school with amenity=school is not wrong, just
redundant if we consider school grounds tagged with amenity=school to
imply that type of landuse (which both proposals do). It think that
combination should be discouraged (as the wiki does) and might even be a
candidate for automatic merging.