[Tagging] Tagging shared campuses: landuse=school?

Jeroen Hoek mail at jeroenhoek.nl
Thu Apr 4 13:50:01 UTC 2019

> why not overlap the amenity=school (one for each school, including the
> grounds)? This allows to show that it is a common campus, while
> otherwise you only associate the buildings with the school and make no
> statement about the campus, other than it is used by some (undefined)
> school. It also leads to better results in search (shows the whole
> school area), without any modification of the existing system. You could
> exclude those buildings from the area which are not part of the specific
> school.

This doesn't solve the common case of the shared campus or location
having a shared name, as in the French example I've linked to. A common
case in my experience; I have a named campus in my hometown that houses
a university, a college, and a research institute — each a distinct
organisation. The campus name is used in signage.

The association of school with campus can be deduced from the amenity
point/way lying inside the landuse area. This is the same as
amenity=place_of_worship inside a landuse=religuous.

I think the school amenity may also be linked to its grounds via a
relation, but that would go beyond the scope of this proposal.

Overlapping amenity areas also seem to go against the grain of most OSM
tagging solutions.

> landuse=school also conflicts with situations where a school is inside
> an administration (or other) building, but these may be few.

In these cases the current situation remains: using a node (or a way for
part of a building) for the amenity. The landuse for such a place might
eventually be one of those proposed in the landuse=civic proposal. I
think this is mostly an edge case though.