[Tagging] Residential=rural, =urban?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 22:38:08 UTC 2019

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 18:29, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> There is a page for residential=rural created in July 2015 without a
> proposal.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:residential%3Drural&action=history
>
> The page says: "residential=rural is a subtag of landuse=residential
> and is used to specify residential areas with low-rise residential
> buildings (buildings with tag building=house). It is usual for each
> house has its own fenced allotment with yard and/or garden."

Maybe it is in Russia, where this tag was created & has been used
extensively, but, as you say, not in the English speaking world.

As one definition
https://www.planning.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/97172/PPN37-Rural-Residential-Development_June-2015.pdf
 says:

" Rural residential development refers to land in a rural setting, used and
developed for dwellings that are not primarily associated with agriculture.
Some agriculture may take place on the land however it will be ancillary to
the use for a dwelling. It is likely to be carried on for ‘lifestyle’
reasons and is unlikely to provide a significant source of household
income. Rural residential land is typically also used for non-agricultural
home occupations or for large gardens. These lots are larger than typical
residential lots, but are usually too small for agricultural use."

So, this area https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=15/-28.0965/153.3195 could
/ would be residential=rural, while normal suburbs like this
https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=17/-28.06980/153.39619 are either
residential=urban, or just landuse=residential

> "residential=urban is a subtag of landuse=residential and is used to
> specify residential areas with multistory residential buildings
> (buildings with tag building=apartments). ..."

You could almost justify that as being residential=inner_city, if you
wanted to create yet another tag :-)

> Does anyone feel like doing some research into how these tags is
> actually used,

Here's one example https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/55.1761/34.1822

Appears that each individual residential block in this hamlet has been
labelled residential=rural, with everything then inside a multipolygon with
a relation as place=hamlet?

Personally, I would have just tagged it with a node, place=hamlet,
name="that", in the centre of a residential area?

Thanks

Graeme