[Tagging] Residential=rural, =urban?

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Thu Apr 11 09:06:58 UTC 2019

You are mostly correct, =rural is for quarter areas (that are bonded by streets and have no streets inside) that contain mostly one- or two-level houses, and =urban is for bigger (~4-5 levels), usually detached apartment buildings. The value of the tag is mostly used to assume height of buildings and in population density calculations. In high-rise areas and inner city blocks, buildings usually have more detailed tagging, that includes their height, type and possibly even number of entrances. These areas should also have residential=urban on their landuse.

The value is easy to determine from aerial imagery, so it allows for better area markup without surveying each building’s parameters.

Ilya