[Tagging] Residential=rural, =urban?

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Thu Apr 11 09:06:58 UTC 2019

You are mostly correct, =rural is for quarter areas (that are bonded by streets and have no streets inside) that contain mostly one- or two-level houses, and =urban is for bigger (~4-5 levels), usually detached apartment buildings. The value of the tag is mostly used to assume height of buildings and in population density calculations. In high-rise areas and inner city blocks, buildings usually have more detailed tagging, that includes their height, type and possibly even number of entrances. These areas should also have residential=urban on their landuse.

The value is easy to determine from aerial imagery, so it allows for better area markup without surveying each building’s parameters.


> On 11 Apr 2019, at 08:45, Ture Pålsson <ture at turepalsson.se> wrote:
> 2019-04-10 10:28 a écrit Joseph Eisenberg:
>> [...]
>> Does anyone feel like doing some research into how these tags is
>> actually used, so that the wiki page can match? Or has anyone used
>> this tag themselves?
> I took a quick look in Sweden. There are only a few hundred of them (369, to be exact, in my database), nearly(?) all by the same mapper. The residential=rural ones seem to be single houses or small groups of houses in the countryside. The residential=urban ones are mostly groups of detached houses within a village or town (like this one: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/209513955). If that is "urban", I'm not sure how to tag high-rise areas or inner-city blocks!
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging

More information about the Tagging mailing list