[Tagging] Was barrier=jersey_barrier approved in a proposal?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 00:03:28 UTC 2019

The page for barrier=jersey_barrier says it is an approved tag. It's
certainly commonly used, but I can't find a proposal page for it. It
was not included on the list in the 2008 Barriers proposal, and the
wiki page was created only in 2014. I suspect it's a de facto tag, but
it's hard to search the wiki for old proposals, perhaps I missed
something.

The barrier=wall page suggests a subtag of wall=jersey_barrier. I
think barrier=jersey_barrier is better, since I don't think of these
features as walls (perhaps because they are short prefabricated
sections?), but I would like to know if this was every discussed.

It's not yet rendered in the Openstreetmap-carto style, but it's been
used >6000 times.