[Tagging] what is the meaning of bicycle=yes on highway=path

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 13:41:55 UTC 2019

On 12/04/2019 14:24, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> @Mateusz
>
> I just got alerted that you added a paragraph on the wiki Page
> OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions)>
> in which you state:
>
> " Note that explicit tagging of access repeating what following tables
> imply may be still useful. For example bare highway
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=path
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath> may mean
> either "surveyed and all defaults apply" or "mapped from LIDAR, not
> surveyed, may be private". In contrast highway
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=path
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath> + foot
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:foot>=yes
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:foot%3Dyes> + bicycle
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:bicycle>=yes
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:bicycle%3Dyes> is more clear
> what is its meaning."

That addition from Mateusz seems reasonable to me - he's just alerting
people to how things might get mapped, and how to make things clearer.
Also "may still be useful" is not telling people to add e.g.
"motor_vehicle=yes" to all primary roads (something unlikely to be useful).

> I do not agree with that statement. If highway
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=path
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath> has the
> default implied access values foot
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:foot>=yes
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:foot%3Dyes> + bicycle
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:bicycle>=yes
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:bicycle%3Dyes> (and
> horse=yes) then that means that an armchair mapper should add
> access=unknown to the tagging.

It doesn't matter what you think J Random Mapper _should_ do; what they
_actually_ do is what is important (and I'm someone who uses
access=unknown more than most).

Best Regards,

Andy