[Tagging] airport check in counters

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 13:21:20 UTC 2019

First, excuse me for side tracking this topic so much. What inspired
me was a recent discussion we had here:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Extend_camp_site#Why_not_use_amenity.3Dreception_desk_instead_of_camp_site.3Dreception.3F

I'll try to gather my thoughts someday soon and maybe we could come up
with a proposal for all of these, I'd not want to block $SUBJECT until
we come to a resolution, as we can rename tags later on.

Let me answer the original airport question at hand. Let me reiterate
that I recommend naming tags so that they make sense for both nodes
and areas. Most of the world is using non-area based indoor mapping as
of now.

* Check-in counters: yes! Also include their count and whether there
are any restrictions between the different counters (with/without
bags, online only, etc).

* Arrival lounge (arrivals door): definitely! I'd probably map benches
as a separate feature, because they can be used for multiple purposes,
but knowing where someone will arrive that you are waiting for is a
big plus, so you can stay nearby.

Let me add some requests of my own:

* Luggage size measurement racks/weighing that let's you double check
your luggage before check-in so you don't get turned back after
staying in line for half an hour. Probably two separate features, or
just attributes on a general verification instrument (you can see such
in supermarkets as well for weight and price verification).

* Gates where you queue up after check-in, but before departure where
they are screening you. Only checked-in passengers may attend this
queue, so this is the point of saying goodbye.

* A gathering point outside on restricted grounds where you have to
wait before entering the plane (for low cost carriers).

* A spotter terrace (viewpoint) where you can watch incoming or
departing planes, can also be annotated with fee=*,
covered=*/shelter=*, level=*, capacity=*, direction=*, bench=*,
whether tables are present, etc.