[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Subkey camp_pitch:*

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 22:57:53 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 11. Apr 2019, at 16:25, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:
>
> Consider the case of a camp pitch with a picnic table, fire place, parking and water tap that are for the exclusive use of the people camping at that pitch. If you tag it with:
>
> leisure=picnic_table
> amenity=bbq
> amenity=drinking_water
> amenity=parking

these aren’t properties (“has a picnic table”), they are defining features (“is a picnic table”), so it shouldn’t be a problem in this case that you cannot combine them technically.
Something is not a watersource and a bbq site as the same object, it is different things on the same pitch. To me it makes perfect sense that you map the bbq on its own, and the parking and water source as well. There is no true advantage from putting everything on the pitch, if not a small simplification for some specific queries (it is rather simple with a spatially enhanced db to look for combinations of closeby features, and you could get results even if the bbq and the picnic table are on adjacent pitches)

> Oops, can’t put multiple amenity tags on one object. And every time someone suggests formalizing a scheme for formalizing multiple values it gets bike shedded or worse.
>
> So now you are having to use multiple objects for the camp pitch

no, you will continue to use one object for the pitch, and will put the fire pit and the trash can “on” (inside) the pitch, as their own objects.

Cheers, Martin