[Tagging] Was barrier=jersey_barrier approved in a proposal?

ajt1047 at gmail.com ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 12:43:57 UTC 2019

On 14/04/2019 10:56, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Can anyone from England confirm that this tag is intelligible in your 
> dialect? Are there other names for these that should be mentioned on 
> the page?

It's not in common non-trade use in the UK, but trade sites certainly 
use that name.  Maybe others can (I'm sure there are a few UK highway 
engineers on this list), but I can't think of anything other than 
"concrete barrier" for these.

Partly the reason might be that they're a relatively recent introduction 
to the UK - divided roads historically had a grass median, later with 
added Armco or a metal catch rope (designed to deflect wayward traffic 
back into their lane, not just stop it). As the median (and hard 
shoulders) came to be viewed as "wasted space" there's more concrete 
around now - but the US name hasn't really crossed the Atlantic into 
general UK use.

Most importantly I'd say "Jersey Barrier" doesn't mean something 
_different_ here.  If it did, that would be a problem.

Best Regards,


More information about the Tagging mailing list