[Tagging] shelter_type=rock_shelter

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Apr 15 09:09:54 UTC 2019

Apr 14, 2019, 10:28 PM by dieterdreist at gmail.com:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 14. Apr 2019, at 14:13, Andrew Harvey <>> andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com <mailto:andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>>> > wrote:
>>
>> The Australian community has indicated that amenity=shelter + shelter_type=rock_shelter is not an appropriate tag in this case since these are natural features not man made features so shouldn't be under the amenity key
>>

> shelter is under the amenity key because it is shelter _for_ humans, it implies minimum dimensions (shelter for mice would have different requirements). It is one way to look on things and it is not the only way of course, you could add natural=overhang or whatever, to distinguish them.

I also see no problem with tagging such shelters - at least ones noticed, found by humans
and used by humans as a shelters - under amenity key.

amenity=shelter + shelter_type=rock_shelter seems perfectly fine to me

Adding also natural=rosk_shelter (or similar) in addition would be also perfectly fine.