[Tagging] Avoid using place=locality - find more specific tags instead

Anton Klim tohaklim at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 07:50:10 UTC 2019

Deprecating a tag because it was misused would remove quite a lot of current osm tagging.
I also think some of the examples you mention cannot be re-tagged without some proper research that’s not going to happen (do the locals call that place %name% because it was a crosssroads at some point or because there was a village nearby? Who knows).
Using a lifecycle prefix is definitely a good idea, but there is simply no data to determine what to prefix in some cases. By all means, if one could add a more specific tag they should, but localities are a thing and place=locality can be used correctly.

But it’s osm, so any tag you like, huh?

Ant