[Tagging] Subtag for place=locality?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 13:59:27 UTC 2019

I added some comments to the talk page of your "type=group" relation proposal.

I would recommend simplifying the proposal to just be for groups of
nodes, because there are already relations for multipolygons (areas)
and linear ways (waterway, route, etc), and it will be very difficulty
for database users to handle multiple types of objects in one
relation.

Also, I believe every database object needs a feature tag.
Multipolygon relations work in this way too. This may mean creating
new tags specific to groups of objects in some cases, but it's not
good to depend on taking tags off of the members of the relation,
since this will often lead to invalid results and is not currently
supported by editors like ID and JOSM, or most database users.