[Tagging] Avoid using place=locality - find more specific tags instead

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 05:48:35 UTC 2019

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 12:21, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have reviewed all the features tagged as place=locality in 2 places
> in the USA and 2 in Europe, and found that 3 out of 4, place=locality
> is usually used for features that could be tagged with a more specific
> tag.

Thanks for your extremely detailed research Joseph!

Have just done some checking around our area & found that a lot of the
place=locality listings should probably be =suburb or =neighbourhood (& a
lot of them were done by me, so I'll have to go in & fix them all!).

Couple to get an opinion on though, please.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4313816641#map=14/-28.1502/153.3205 is
Austinville, which is the area located along the length of Austinville
Road. Austinville is a valid locality name, but there is no actual spot you
can point to & say that's Austinville - there are no shops, petrol station
etc, only houses / farms & a Community Hall.

What would it be if it's not a =locality? =village / hamlet / suburb /
neighbourhood?

Same thing for Springbrook:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4316622215#map=14/-28.1872/153.2702,
which is the area on top of Springbrook Mountain. Once again, fairly
sparsely populated - maybe 500?, but no distinct centre of town, except one
general store, a Primary School & a handful of cafe's.

There are a few others around that are similar - they have a population,
but there are only 100 - 200 people living in an area of 200+ sq k - seems
way to sparse to be labelled as village or anything similar?

Thanks

Graeme