[Tagging] Avoid using place=locality - find more specific tags instead

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 07:23:13 UTC 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 at 16:26, Joseph Eisenberg
<joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> > @MarKus: Regarding the tagging of islands or lake groups (clusters), I've
> > already begun to use the type=group tag and hope that someone will push
> > OSM-Carto to render such relations in the future.
>
> It will be very difficult to handle such relations in osm2pgsql, the
> tool that is used to import the database for rendering, as long as the
> group relation can include other relations, ways, and nodes in one
> object.
>
> Is there any reason that lake groups cannot be tagged as multipolygon
> relations? These are already handled by most database users, including
> Openstreetmap-Carto.

It's not just about groups of lakes. There are other groups, where the
individual elements either have no name or individual names, for
example this group of natural reserves [1] or this group of sculptures
[2]. The group of sculptures consists of nodes, thus a multi-polygon
relation doesn't work for it. And for other groups that could be
mapped as multi-polygons (such as the group of natural reserves), this
would mean that we would need new tags for about every existing tag
(at least for about every tag that is used on areas).

[1]: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8856988
[2]: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8961321