[Tagging] Stop the large feature madness (was: Tag for a plateau or tableland?)

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Apr 17 10:23:22 UTC 2019

Apr 17, 2019, 11:29 AM by frederik at remote.org:

> I think we all should stop seeking out one large-scale feature type
> after the other that is "missing" from OSM and think about how to best
> add them. In my view, the fact that these are underrepresented in OSM is
> not an opportunity to "improve" OSM but a sign that OSM isn't the right
> place for that kind of data.
>
> Instead, let us find a way of recording such imprecise information
> outside of OSM's data model, and make it easy to access it e.g. when
> rendering maps.

Especially as such features are subjective, with multiple competing definitions
and local survey is not adding anything useful.

For example splitting Earth's oceanic waters into oceans is subjective,
mapping one selected division or all of them is not useful in OpenStreetMap

See
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:World_ocean_map.gif <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:World_ocean_map.gif>
for multiple splits of oceans, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundaries_between_the_continents_of_Earth <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundaries_between_the_continents_of_Earth>
is similar, the same happens with mountain ranges and other
similar large-scale features.