[Tagging] Stop the large feature madness (was: Tag for a plateau or tableland?)

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 13:11:04 UTC 2019

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 23:04, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> ...These would actually be an example of a feature
> that does have a verifiable border, and could therefore be mapped as
> an area by following the top of the cliff all the way around, but I
> don't see any great benefit to doing all that work to copy the path of
> the natural=cliff, when a node at the center of the feature will do.

I would always see a node as just a temporary approach to map a plateau in
place of a closed way.

The advantage of a way is renders get a sense of size of the feature and
can decide at which zoom level to label it. It also helps for building
reverse geocoders so they can say you're on X plateau when inside the area.
Neither really possible with just a node.