[Tagging] Why should we avoid overusage of amenity=* tag?

石野貴之 yumean1119 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 18:50:36 UTC 2019

Hello. I am yumean1119 from Japan and mapping mainly around Okayama.

Recently, I have surfed some proposal pages about new tagging schems for
educational facilities.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Education_2.0

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_Features/Education_Reform_Alternative

They seem to be bad ideas since the proposed education=* tags are redundant
over the existing amenity=school/kindergarten/university... tags.

So I thought it would be good to use these education=* tags together with a
new tag for education outside school only, for example,
amenity=educational_service.

However, the proposal pages say:
>  There has been arguements not to make a amenity
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity>=*
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:amenity%3D*&action=edit&redlink=1>
for everything that exists on the planet.

I don't know the reason why we should not use amenity=* too much. If you
have time, please let me know.

Takayuki Ishino
yumean1119 at gmail.com