[Tagging] Avoid using place=locality - find more specific tags instead

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 03:10:01 UTC 2019

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 10:40 PM John Willis via Tagging
<tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
Kevin Kenny:
> > The administrative boundaries do, of course give rise to corner cases.

> But when you have named places that have no residents (so not a village) but hold some local or greater meaning (such as the stations of Mt Fuji) and are more than the geologic or man made feature that gave them their name (the stations were originally building names, but now they are are much more important navigation aids for hikers, even when the buildings are gone), place=locality is the solution.
>
> all of the old names and old villages make mapping more difficult (every 3 blocks there is a new “quarter” here in Japan! it is so dense!), but please do not equate place mapping as somehow dependent on postal addressing boundaries.  ^_^

I surely didn't!  I had already given examples (such as Sled Harbor
and Shattuck Clearing) that are now exactly what you said - named
points for hikers, where the named feature is long lost, but the name
is still current, and the example of the township where my brother
lives, where the settlement that gives the town its name is a ghost
town with little left but stone foundations of buildings. (The town
offices, post office, etc. are in a village of a different name, also
located in the township.)

In many suburban places in the US, the boundaries of the suburbs more
or less match the service areas of the corresponding post offices, and
for some unincorporated communities, that's as formal as the
boundaries get. In other places, the township or county will assign
boundaries to unincorporated communities - where I grew up is like
that, and there are even road signs announcing that you are entering
one or another of the unincorporated Hamlets. Hamlet with a capital H
because it's a legal term - a couple of the Hamlets are in fact small
cities that never adopted a charter of incorporation.

In New York City, in the boroughs of Queens and Staten Island, the
former towns and villages that existed prior to consolidation into
Greater New York retain their old names, and people still know where
the boundaries were, over a century ago. Postal addresses in large
measure reflect these former communities. The other boroughs have
named neighbourhoods, but they no longer have well-defined boundaries,
and do not appear in postal addresses: the remaining boroughs have
addresses that are 'New York', 'Bronx' or 'Brooklyn' irrespective of
the name of the neighbourhood.

These things aren't consistent, and the only answer, ever, is 'ask the locals.'