[Tagging] Walking Routes, how to tag alternatives/additions/shortcuts/approach tracks etc.

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 10:56:05 UTC 2019

Rendering is one thing. The other purpose I consider is routing, where you
need to have one continuous route. Currently, OSM route relations are not
routed directly, so the concern is to be able to produce singe-route
gpx-exports.
I think a branch way or branch route relation with role excursion does not
fit in that scheme.
Currently I make main route relations consisting of either a single chain
of ways, or a single chain of segment routes, resulting at the lowest level
in a single chain of ways. No branches, no shortcuts, no alternatives, no
doggy/scenic/wheelchair/hightide/seasonal routes, no additionals, no single
nodes.
Beside that, I make a route relation containing all the variants (including
the main route). This is in fact more like a collection than a route. This
one is for rendering, not for routing. Here the member roles make sense to
me, to indicate main vs not-main. I think the reason why a member is not
main is not that important at this level.
Tagging a member segment to indicate purpose (seasonal, link, doggy) or an
attribute such as scenic, looks fine to me. When someone uses the segment
relation as a route in itself, the role is not there, but the functional
tag is.

If this makes sense for rendering as well as routing and single chain
exporting, I would like to agree on the values for a. role and b. the
route_segment key.
Where role should IMO not contain the reason for the segment, just how it
should be handled within the "superroute" relation, and route_segment
should indicate what is so special about this route relation.

Vr gr Peter Elderson