[Tagging] Why should we avoid overusage of amenity=* tag?

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Thu Apr 25 18:10:46 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 24 April 2019, Warin wrote:
> On 25/04/19 04:39, Dave F wrote:
> >

> > On 21/04/2019 01:12, Warin wrote:
> >>

> >> I am all for the introduction of the key education=*
> >>

> >> It makes sense, adds detail - improves the map data base.
> >
> > True.
> >
> > The one that irks me is amenity=cafe. It isn't there for the benefit
> > of the community; it is a commercial enterprise & should be tagged as
> > a shop.
>
> +1
>
> The same can be said for a pub, restaurant, etc.
>   They are all  commercial enterprises, if they did not make money they
> would not exist.
>   There 'service' to the community is there to help them make money.

Although one of the descriptions that an estate agent will use when describing a property is close to the amenities. The big 4 Ps that are used to describe the amenities that make a village sustainable are Primary School, Parish Church, Post Office and Pub.

Once any go, then the community is dieing. The pub is a major amenity, that is why communities will club together to operate and keep the pub open.

So it may be a business, but it is also one of the prime amenities.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device