[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:natural=mesa and Tag:natural=butte

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 05:06:26 UTC 2019

On 26/04/19 11:48, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> I have created 2 proposal pages for natural=mesa and natural=butte
>
> A mesa is defined as "A flat-topped elevated landform surrounded by
> cliffs". A mesa may also be known as a table or tableland, potrero or
> tepui. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:mesa
>
> A butte is defined as "a hill with a flat top surrounded by cliffs."
> The width of the flat top is less than the relative height of the
> hill. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:butte
>
> So in contrast with a natural=butte, in a natural=mesa the width of
> the flat area is greater than its height above the surrounding
> terrain.
>
> I believe both of these features may be mapped as a node or as an area
> with a closed way.
>
> In contrast two these 2 features which are surrounded by cliffs or
> steep escarpments, the tag natural=plateau (already in use <100 times)
> is often used for large features that do not have clear boundaries,
> and therefore cannot be verifiably mapped as an area.
>
> I've also made a proposal page to help define natural=plateau, and
> suggest that it not be used with relations or areas.
>
> About the values of the tags, "mesa" and "butte"
>
> While one might use "table" or "tableland", these terms are somewhat
> ambiguous, and can be used for very large features. In contrast, the
> terms "mesa" and "butte" are fairly well defined in English, even
> though they are loan words from Spanish and French. There are few of
> these features in England, so it's not surprising that new words were
> needed.
>
> See:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:natural%3Dmesa

need to make it clear in the description how it differs from plateau/butte e.g.

Flat topped area with sudden elevation, wider or longer than it is high
but horizontal dimension less than 1.6 km.

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:natural%3Dbutte

need to make it clear in the description how it differs from plateau/mesa e.g.
Flat topped area with sudden elevation, higher that width or length

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:natural%3Dplateau

The smallest horizontal dimension of a plateau could be 1.6 km ( 1 mile). This would distinguish it from mesa/butte.