[Tagging] Incorrectly tagging locks on rivers as canals

pbnoxious pbnoxious at web.de
Fri Apr 26 09:09:50 UTC 2019

I think the whole problem cannot be solved in general as it depends from
case to case.

A nice example of where the clear distinction between "natural river"
and "artificial canal" is hard to tell is the river Altmühl: Its most
downstream part has been built into a canal, which later leaves the
"natural" bed and continues to connect it to the river Main. Still it is
often named "Main-Donau-Kanal" even where the old river bed is.
See for example this way [1], which is a part tagged as river but has
the name "Kanal". Is this a river or a canal? Additionally it is in the
middle of sections that are tagged as "Altmühl", so the river "ceases to
exist" in our mapping for some range.

I guess one always has to decide this on a local level and acknowledge
that rivers in many parts of the world are not "natural" anymore.

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/599254030