[Tagging] unused tags and properties

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Apr 27 06:38:14 UTC 2019

27 Apr 2019, 01:54 by dieterdreist at gmail.com:

> A few people continue to add unused tags and properties to feature definitions, e.g. looking at the page for tourism=guesthouse, which is quite long in the meantime, you can find "proposed" values with names like
> "fridge"
> "stove"
> "drying:room"
> "dinner"
> which all hardly reach a 2 digit number of usage.
>

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dguest_house <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dguest_house>
>
> For the "view" tag there isn't even a definition.
>
> I believe treating the wiki like this will generally lead to a decline in quality of our documentation, because immature tags are pushed that haven't undergone any kind of peer review (aparently).
>
> Am I the only one with these concerns?

No, you are not the only one. In case of such barely used tags added in the form of
an unreadable table I think that immediate revert of such edit is the best solution.

Inventing new tags is OK, using new tags is OK, documenting new tags is OK and desirable.

But linking your tag that is barely used everywhere is an unwelcome spam.

In such situation I revert edit as soon as I spot it, especially for users who did it already
many times and have aggressive usernames that claim to not be experts rather than newbies.

example of previous spam wave (mass spamming of broken shop=street_vendor tag):

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:amenity%3Dvending_machine&diff=prev&oldid=1835047 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:amenity%3Dvending_machine&diff=prev&oldid=1835047>
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=ES:Tag:amenity%3Dvending_machine&diff=prev&oldid=1835048 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=ES:Tag:amenity%3Dvending_machine&diff=prev&oldid=1835048>
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=FR:Tag:amenity%3Dvending_machine&diff=prev&oldid=1835049 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=FR:Tag:amenity%3Dvending_machine&diff=prev&oldid=1835049>
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=NL:Tag:amenity%3Dvending_machine&diff=prev&oldid=1835051 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=NL:Tag:amenity%3Dvending_machine&diff=prev&oldid=1835051>
and in many other languages, also for other shop types