[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:natural=mesa and Tag:natural=butte

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 14:14:34 UTC 2019

> "I know a number of landforms which have the name Plateau and are exactly "an flat-topped landform that is elevated above the surrounding terrain and surrounded by cliffs.".

In this case, my recommendation is to tag these features as
natural=mesa. You can map this as an area (closed way or multipolygon)
that matches the cliffs.

I did not try to change the definition of  "natural=plateau", because
it is already used for many other types of generally flatish highland
features, including high plains, high valleys, terraces, and general
highland areas.

That's why natural=mesa is proposed as a new tag with a more specific
definition, which happens to match the geological use of "mesa" as
well as being pretty close to the every-day meaning of "mesa" in at
least some dialects of English.