[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Baby changing table

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 13:36:06 UTC 2019

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 at 09:20, bkil <bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com> wrote:

> Our word for changing_table=* is something like "diaper changer
> [place]" ("pelenkázó") or more like "a place where you change
> diapers", the word itself weakly implicates a separate room, although
> this should not cause confusion. Interestingly, the dictionary
> definition suggests a translation "pelenkáz" = "changing the baby",
> but the term itself does not narrow this down to babies and it is
> applicable to all age groups.
>
> Do you know a language where this could cause an issue for real?

Magyar might be one.  :)  I have been led to believe that in Magyar the
term for this facility
loosely translates as "diaper changer [place]."  I do not know what
percentage of
Hungarian mappers would infer, without looking it up, that "changing table"
meant
"diaper changer [place]."

I would guess that any language that refers to such facilities by including
that language's words
for "baby," "diaper," or "napkin" might have that problem.  In English,
through common usage,
we just use "changing table" but 20 years ago (when it wasn't common usage)
I would have
wondered what it meant and what was being changed (I still feel a little
uneasy with it).

--
Paul