[Tagging] Verifiability wiki page: "Geometry" section added

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 22:48:48 UTC 2019

On Wed, 1 May 2019 at 00:46, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On 30. Apr 2019, at 15:03, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >
> > Beware also the quest for the universal solution. Postal addressing,
> administrative segmentation and people's affinities are separate
> dimensions. Any attempt to force them into a single model is doomed to
> failure, so why try?
>

> exactly, we do have entities for all of these: addr tags for postal
> addressing, administrative boundaries for administrative structures and
> place for sociocultural places, and I’ve always been a defendant of this
> distinction, but it cannot be denied that a lot of mappers add place tags
> for settlements to administrative entities, thereby extending the
> settlement on the whole administrative territory.

Another personal example of "towns" being very spread out.

When I was a kid, my Auntie & Uncle ran a sheep station ("ranch") in
Western Queensland. They were ~40 km out of town (Blackall), but their
postal address was Avondale, Blackall & their phone number was Blackall
104K (does anybody overseas even know about manual party lines? - & for
that matter, does anybody else in Australia remember them? :-))

This is where Avondale is in regard to Blackall (towards top left if it
doesn't highlight)
http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&p=247883&op=1589&cmd=sp&c=1&x=145%2E09446&y=-24%2E23379&w=40000&mpsec=0
,
& they were not the furtherest place out of Blackall by any means!

Thanks

Graeme