[Tagging] Was public_transport=platform intended to always be combined with highway=bus_stop?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 00:56:16 UTC 2019

If you read the talk page of the proposal,it’s clear that the stop_area
relations are optional. I actually think that needs to be further clarified
in the main text.

I’m not certain if any database users actually manage stop_area relations
for public transit?

The ref can go on just the highway=bus_stop as a few other people and the
proposal suggest.

The highway=platform way is like a highway=footway of building=roof which
you might also add to the same vicinity to represent real features: it’s a
real, physical feature; an elevated area for passengers to board or alight.

The bus stop node represents the bus service and is always present whether
or not there is a physical platform, so it’s what you add to the route
relation in the proposal. It looks like this is already fairly common
practice.

Joseph