[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Tag:staff_count:doctors

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 22:17:46 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 at 07:31, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> > On 1. Aug 2019, at 22:17, Mhairi O'Hara <mhairi.ohara at hotosm.org> wrote:
> >
> > Voting is now open for the proposed feature staff_count:doctors
> >
> > "Indicates the average daily number of doctors available at a health
> facility"
>

> can you explain how a mapper should survey this on the ground? Is the
> average for the last week? Last quarter? Last decade? Is it about the
> people working there in total, or at the same time? Someone working 1 day a
> week is 0.2 doctors? Or 0.14?
>
> Is it about the people employed or those showing up (thinking about ill
> doctors)?

& should we then be (somehow) breaking that number down into times of day &
specialities? There are 10 doctors at this facility - 4 work the morning
shift from 0600 till 1400, 4 from 1200 - 2000 (so 8 there from 1200 -
1400), but only 2 from 2000 - 0600 next morning - is the number you're
looking for 10 / 4 / 8 or 2?

It gets worse when you consider specialities - of those 10 doctors, 2 are
surgeons, 1 anaethesist, 1 obstetrician, 2 emergency room (none of whom are
usually available for general ward duty) & only 4 "normal" doctors. What
number do you want?

I'm sorry, Mhairi, but we've been asking these same questions ever since
this proposal was first put up, & nobody from your team has yet answered
them.

It's a nice idea, but at this stage, I for one would have to be inclined to
vote no :-(

Thanks

Graeme